forwardgarden.com Biblio Files: talking about books <$BlogRSDURL$>

Biblio Files: talking about books

Biblio Files is a site for bibliophiles. Please look at the index, and post any feedback you can think of. Comment on posts. If you are interested in writing a review or more for this blog, let me know.
  • INDEX
  • MAIN
  • Saturday, October 09, 2004

    The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
    Missy Greer, our narrator most chapters, grew up in the 70's in a small town Kentucky southern town. Pittman county is so behind the times that phone calls were handled by an operator instead of a dial until 1973. From the money she makes working at the local hospital, Missy buys a car, and then she drives out of Pittman County. She decides to change her name to Taylor after the first place she runs out of gas in. Taylor drives adventurously for a while, and then a broken rocker arm(part of her car) forces her to stop at a station near the edge of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma. As she is about to leave, a woman comes over to her car with a toddler, and deposits the baby on Taylor's front passenger seat. She asks Taylor to take the baby, and Taylor does.
    Lou Ann Ruiz is pregnant, which she is happy about. She is not getting along well with her husband, which she is not happy about. Angel (pronounced Ahn-hel) leaves her, and takes with him everything he considers his, which includes the TV set. Lou Ann is not working, having quit her job earlier to take care of Angel after his leg was amputated. After alternating chapter where we watch Lou Ann in the third person and listen to Taylor in the first, Taylor moves in with Lou Ann after Lou Ann advertises for a roomate, Angel's space being vacant. Taylor gets a job at a the Jesus Is Lord Used tires, which turns out to house illegal immigrants who should have been given political asylum, but weren't.
    This is an awesome story, but after reading it I'm left with the feeling that I never quite got the point- it's subtle. Politically, the point is definitively made on immigration, and there is a definite disparagement of the Children and Family Services agency. The tone and style of Taylor's narration remind me of To Kill A Mockingbird, although possibly that's only because it has a definite southern accent and makes a point about people's prejudices and the justice system. The manner in which Taylor seems to make friends seems unrealistic, although possible. The nature scenes in this book are great, and since the author lives right where the scenes take place, they're probably even real. One topic is almost missing- race relations. The illegal immigrant Estevan mentions American thinking along racial lines, and Lou Ann's parents hold a grudge against Angel for being Mexican, but unlike almost every other conflict in the narrative, this one is not analyzed.
    Happy reading.

    posted by Jonah  # 10:04 PM
    |
    Comments:
    You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    cash for cars mackay
    cash for cars gympie
     
    Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    cash for cars melbourne
    car removal brisbane
     
    Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
    cash for scrap cars gold coast
    cash for cars ipswich
     
    Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
    cash for cars sydney
    cash for scrap cars sydney
     
    Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
    cash for scrap cars logan
    sell my car brisbane
     
    Post a Comment


    Archives

    January 2000   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   July 2006   November 2006   February 2007   September 2007   October 2007   February 2008  

    view my guestbook sign my guestbook free guestbook Web Site Counter
    Site Counter Site
Meter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Oyez
    Oyez: U.S. Supreme Court Multimedia
    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com